LCC Grounds

LCC Grounds

Longwood Cricket Club Grounds

LCC Grounds blog began in 2008. Entries have educated membership and the public on the crew, agronomic techniques, horticulture and clay court maintenance.
We really enjoy what we do and hope the readers of this blog get something out of it. Questions , comments and any feedback on the content is highly encouraged. If you are from another club, or grounds department, please do not hesitate to contact us!

For those loyal followers of this blog, we want to let you know that our focus for social media updates concerning the grounds department will be on Twitter, where you can follow us @LCCgrounds. You can also follow us on instagram here: LCCGrounds

LCC Grounds Instagram Pictures

Instagram

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Hazel Wightman

John G and Tim B, please comment on this memorial at Newton Cemetery.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea she was interred here until walking past he plot last week.
Her marker can be found along the pond next to the bridge and the weeping cherry tree- a very nice spot!

What an amazing tennis resume!...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazel_Hotchkiss_Wightman

Looking forward to John's comment(s)

-Tim

John G. said...

Tim and Mike - thank you so much for pointing this marker out to me - as a member of the History Committee I cannot think of a more important note to add to Hazel's mention that she was made a CBE by the Queen due to her work in establishing the Wightman Cup.

As an Irishman, of course, I completely disavow any allegiance to the Crown, but, in this instance, I think they "done good".

I have passed this picture and my comments along to Gordon Martin, the Committee Chair, and he concurs with my assessment that this picture is worthy of inclusion into our updated history.

Thanks to both Tim and Mike - I will bring Baysie up to date when I see her next.

Cheers

John G. said...

I do like the idea of bestowing meritorious awards to LCC employees, along the lines of the CBE - I think it might lend a certain "Je ne sais quois" to our otherwise staid appellations.

A few examples follow:

Fred Groen - MOAT (Master of All Things)
Larry Wolf - ASBNS (Always Smiling but Not Sweating)
Mike Buras - SLDAG (Smells Like Dirt and Grass)
Paul Noonan - KMHEWB) (Keeps Members Happy Even When Busy)
Tony Bush - YUM - Self explanatory